Monday, May 3, 2010

$8.77 chair

I found this chair this weekend at one of my favorite haunts. It was $1.00 - that's right - $1.00. It was a good sturdy chair on casters. The upholstery was dirty and the seat cushion a little flat, but those are easy fixes.


Close up of the dirty seat.

So I went to work - took the seat and back off (they unscrew easily), tightened up a couple joints with wood glue and bungie cords to hold them tight while they dried and then stained the whole thing dark. This was my first staining project and I have to say, I'm more of a painting kind of gal. Staining is hard - I couldn't get it to cover evenly, etc. But in the end, I liked it. I had also picked up one of those mattress toppers for $5.00, and I used just a little chunk of it to fluff up the seat a bit.

Polly helped me with that part.
Then it was just a matter of wrapping the seat and back with my new material ($3.77 a yard at Walmart) and staple gunning it onto the seat and back. Again, not as easy as some I've done. It had curves, etc. I ended up taking it all apart, rearranging the foam and starting over. But it is comfortable and looks much better than it did! The fabric is a velvety type with stamped patterns in it. I can't get good pictures of it because it's night and I have to use flash, but it looks quite nice in it's proper place (our bedroom). Maybe during the day I can get a picture of it where it belongs instead of on the landing.

So it was $1.00 for the chair, $2.00 for the stain, $3.77 for the material and I'm figuring about $2.00 for the chunk of foam I cut off of my topper. $8.77 for a nice sturdy chair - not bad!!



Oops, excuse the stain on the carpet - I spilled some dye. I will be cutting that out and replacing it with a piece of carpet soon.
Esther

Linking up to Furniture Feature Friday at Mustard Seed Creations

5 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL! It's turned out so nice and it will look perfect in your bedroom!

    Oh and I like the pic of Darth Gatto rolling in the foam :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! You really worked wonders with that piece. Honestly, I think I would've passed it up, even for $1.00. You were braved and it paid off. Wonderful job!

    By the way, I love the picture of your cat in the foam. They just love "helping" on projects, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice! About the stain... you can get stuff in the laundry aisle of the supermarket that removes dye runs... see if that works before cutting your carpet and risking frays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try the WowGreen stain remover before you cut. http://www.wowgreen.net/Products-SuperStainRemover.aspx?ID=www

    Great job on the chair. It really looks good. Jane F

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoa mother, $1?!? this is awesome. and good to know i am not the only one with a feline "helper" in the house ;)

    ReplyDelete