Monday, February 15, 2010

Master Bedroom Makeover

This was our master bedroom when we moved into this house 6 1/2 years ago. (Ok - it wasn't really this bad - I had already taken the bedding off and moved some of the furniture out before I remembered to take a before picture). I found bedding that was a floral yellow and red print and we made it work. But I did tire of it and wanted something a little more "calm". So I started by finding some bedding - our carpet is green, but I wanted a blue/gray. I looked for several months to find something that had both colors and finally found it on clearance at Walmart for $40.00. It's a king set - not queen, but that works great. No need for a bed skirt.Next, we painted - a nice blue/gray (Valspar Woodlawn Silver Brook). I had to change out the headboard, but that was easy. We had made this headboard a few years ago - it's a door we found in our basement and my husband cut pieces of thin wood to fit into the panels and I covered them with batting and material.

So now it was just a matter of recovering them in a new material ( you know - with the staple gun - sorry no picture) and adding the trim moulding around the edge.

Now to the other side of the room. We had just a little table to hold the TV, so we decided to build an "entertainment" center.
We bought kitchen base cabinets from Restore ($40. and $50.), used a bookcase we already had and then made a "matching" one for the other side. I am so happy to have extra shelves now for books, storage and display!
The pictures over our night stands are ones my granddaughter took. The keys on were from my mother's collection and those two pices of art have become some of my favorite things in the whole house!

I know my cords are showing - I actually bought some cord covers, but they are the screw-on kind instead of the velcro kind, so I'm going to exchange them.

I am pleased with how this room has turned out - it's restful and comfortable! I'm sure I'll be tweaking for several weeks, but it's mostly done!






I'm hooking up with ASPTL
for DIY Tuesday











3 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!!!!! I love everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out great!! I looove that you have an electric fire place in there.

    Please feel free to stop by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and add your weekly craft links!

    It's found at theherberfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing, what a transformation! I love the wall color, the bedding, the bookcases, but most of all those key photos. They are awesome.

    ReplyDelete