Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Typewriter Key Plaques

I got my Ballard Catalog a couple weeks ago and of course, started going throught it right away! One of the MANY things that caught my eye was the typewriter key plaques! They looked like they'd be easy enough to copy, so I started my hunt. My dear sister-in-law has taken up my hobby of "second handing" and so when they were down for New Years, we hit our favorite shops. And right there in St. Vincent's was the perfect thing - 6 Christmas tins - all the same size at 90% off!!!!! So I paid my quarter a piece for them and brought them home. The bottoms will be used some other time (I hope), but for now the tops will become typewriter keys! I gave them a good coat of primer (red oxide - it's what was in the paint cupboard), then a coat or two of black paint - just good ole Walmart ColorPlace. (Sorry - forgot to take a picture of the black painted lids)
I printed my letters on regular computer paper in Bookman Old Style font (400) and rubbed the backs of them with white chalk.

and traced around them with a pencil and then my white paint pen. Lookin good . .




But THEN - I had to fill in those lines!! I tried the paint pen - didn't look so good (again, sorry no pictures - in my frustration, I forgot). A paint brush with white paint was a little better, but the letters kept getting fatter and fatter! NOT SO GOOD!

The letters in the catalog and on my daughter's antique typewriter were white background, so I decided to start all over and go with that.

So more spray paint (Heirloom White) - lots of paint to cover the black and the outlined letters.
I decided I would just cut out the letters with my trusty ole scissors (no Cricut here), but before I went to all that trouble, I decided to see if I would be able to paint my border around the edge.

Hmmm not perfect, but then what is? I glued those letters on, gave a coat of mod podge and hung those babies up. (Yup - even before the mod podge was dry)


I think I like 'em


Flash and wet modpodge make for a glaring picture!

I still have two more tins and my sis-in-law told me she's got a couple for me too!! I think I'll do the word "Family" too!
I'm hooking up with DIY Tuesday
and 2nd Time Around
Have a good day!









10 comments:

  1. You did a great job on your project. It looks great above your shelf. Way to go hanging in there. Sometimes we have it all perfect in our head and it takes a couple of tries to get it right in real life. I can so sympathize with ya. Been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. What a great way to use the tin lids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha great not get... dont know where my head is at this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are just tooo cute, great job. Thanks for sharing.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I may have to "borrow" this idea :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like these. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a fun project! They look great! :)

    And, thanks for the advice about Disney. I have a couple days where we'll all coordinate, it should be fun! Thanks!

    Blessings,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  8. We design the best plaque according to your home and we made different styles metal letters for kitchen and drawing room.
    Online plaque maker

    ReplyDelete